Monday, June 6, 2011

XVI

Last night I finished XVI by, Julia Karr, at first I didn't think I'd like it and as I read, the book just pissed me off more and more as I realized just how little women are able to do in this future world. The book is set in 2150, when you become an adult at 16. Girls have to get tattoos of XVI (16) on their wrists. This is also the legal sex age.

The main character Nina doesn't want to turn 16, she doesn't want to be of 'sex-teen' age, she just wants to be 15 forever. Never get her tattoo and never be of sex age.

When I finished the book, I found that I had really enjoyed it. It's one of those love it or hate it books. The topic is very controversial in my opinion and could cause a huge debate. I give tons of points to Julia Karr though, she wrote an incredible book and I found I really did love it in the end. Even after everything that happens to Nina, she stays strong, doesn't whine or complain about anything and she protects her little sister Dee the entire time.

Nina also doesn't want to have sex. But she ends up getting a boyfriend, Sal and she finds that her mind and her body disagree greatly over what they want.

I recommend it, but again, I do believe it to be a love or hate novel, it can go either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment